Wednesday, June 19, 2013

How Not to Kill a Hydragena in a Hour



There is so much to be said about the natural beauty of flowers.









I'm always amazed when I look closely at a bloom. 

I think it's a miracle how they open into such a beautiful flower.






Living in the south and dealing with a lot of heat and humidity, hydrangeas don't last very long once they are cut from the flower beds.


I always enjoy looking at them outside my windows, but everytime I have cut them to bring some of their beauty inside, they tend to look shriveled up within a few hours at best. 

When I was setting up my picture for my post about cleaning  the inside of a top load washing machine the other day, I knew I wanted those hydrangeas in my photo.  

After doing some researrch on "How not to Kill a Hydrangea in a Hour", I skeptically decided to give it another try.

Now, try not to get too overwhelmed when I tell you how to do this...

Are you ready....

1.  Boil a pot of water and pour in a cup or small container.
2.  Bring a pitcher of tap water outside and place close to where you will be cutting your flowers.
3.  Cut flowers and place in pitcher.
4.  Bring flowers inside and trim to the height that you want for your arrangement.
5.  Place stems in the boiled water for 30 seconds.
6.  Immediately put flowers in vase filled with room temperature water and arrange.

Pretty tough, huh?  

Haha!




Day 3 and they looked like I had just cut them!

Hope you are having a great Wednesday!

Kim









No comments: